Friday, March 27, 2009

Where do I even begin?

My sleeping arrangements in hot season

We still don’t have internet. I was managing just fine until we had a taste of the apple (internet in the old bureau for like 10 days), and we (Sikasso Kaw) are about to go crazy! I bet the IT guy at PC has my number blocked…

On 03/19/09 Ransom, Adele, Yacuba (cabbie), and Ransom’s counterpart went to go see Oumo Sangare. I was so underdressed. Malian women wore prom like outfits; I looked like I gardened all day. It was fun even though I only understood a word (okay 4 words). I had to leave at 12:30 am because I was exhausted.
Digging for installing the pipes for the faucet

The most important news is that the faucet was installed on March 24th. I’ve been reflecting a lot, and it’s so absurd how you can work on a project for a year and it’s done it a day. I am extremely happy that everything worked out, even with the few bumps. We will have our final faucet meeting on Sunday to discuss the future, strengths/weaknesses of the project, etc.

03/26/09 was a holiday. It was when Mali DECIDED that they were going to become independent (Mali’s Independence Day is September 22).

I am disappointed that the Worldwise School Program didn’t work out. I wrote to a school in South Carolina in December and have yet to hear from them. It would have been nice for the teacher to explain or just inform me that the relationship was terminating.

I started studying for the GMAT. It’s unfortunate that during the test, you can’t use paper. They give you “slabs” (dry erase boards) to do your scratch work and the actual exam is given on a computer. I guess I’m old fashion, but I would prefer the pencil/paper test.

I thought more was happening in my life, but I thought wrong.
The cyber cafe is SO SLOW today. It has taken me an hour for 2 pictures. More next time.

3 comments:

Dave Koh said...

Hi my name's Dave and I'm going to start serving in Mali in October. I'm glad that I stumbled upon your blog to get a better sense of what life is like over there.

Unknown said...

So happy about the faucet! Let the water flow!
Love,
Mah Coulibally

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie. I just found out I could leave you comments. Congrats on the water faucet completion! Best of luck studying for the GMAT-- I can relate to that! That pic of your sleeping mat is awesome. Love, Annie (your old roomie)