Thursday, September 17, 2009

More of the Same

Chengdu

This week was uneventful. Last Saturday night, a group of volunteers ate hot pot. One of the perks about going out with volunteers who have been here for a year (or two) is that they know what to order. After dinner, we went dancing. It was a first for me for going out in China. And what an experience it was! They played techno music. I had a great time. This was the first weekend of many weekends dancing to techno music.
I asked all of my students to write me a letter, telling me about themselves, what they want to accomplish, etc. My favorite quote from a student was "I like your smile and voice. It's so beautiful and dainty." That just made me smile! I made a good first impression on some students, and not so much on others. Another favorite quote, "I will try to like you." Gee, thanks kid!
Last Thursday was "Teacher's Day." 3 of my classes gave me cards! I also received a cactus. I also got some cough drops. It was really sweet of them.
I am a strict teacher, but I think my students are finally getting the message. I don't play games. During one class last week, I took 6 cell phones in 1 class! Today I only took 2 cell phones. They are learning. (No cell phones, mp3/4/28 etc., or electronic dictionaries.)
I observed the dean today. It amazed me at how respectful the students can be. I think next semester, I may incorporate the Chinese tradition of standing to greet the instructor. It really seemed to set the mood to respect the person at the front.
My teammate (Moose) and I were planning on getting out of the city this weekend and going to the mountains, but the weather forecast is rain and more rain.

Yes, there is a Hooters here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't the translation of Hooters something like "The Owl Restaurant?"
Keep us updated. Would love to see a pic of your students in your classroom.
love,
mom