Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Birthday & Lantern Festival

Picture taken from my window...I spy 3 pairs of lucky red undies...hope my neighbors don't mind ;)
I celebrated my birthday in China last weekend. It was quite a memorable day. The 1st half of my day makes for a good story, so when I'm back in the States, if you want to take me out for an adult beverage, Dr. Pepper, or hot chocolate, I'll be glad to share. The 2nd half of my day was fun. I went out to eat with Mai, Andrew, Emma, and Jeesun. I got a chicken sandwich and potato salad. Both were okay, not terrific. We went back to my house to eat chocolate pudding pie and banana pudding. The banana pudding was fabulous. The chocolate pie tasted like...soap. No joke. I thought it was the pudding, but it turns out it was the pie crust. I bought a few pie crusts at an expat store (they were on sale!), but I managed to take 2 of them back for a refund. I thought she wasn't going to give me a refund (they were cracked but I bought them like that), but the other woman at the store was very wise in giving this lǎowài (foreigner) her money back for soap tasting pie crusts. That evening, we went to the bar for dancing. Unfortunately, the bar was dead and I was FULL (drank a Dr. Pepper after dinner). So, we hung out and talked.
***************************************************************
I'm really irritated about some things, but a wise rabbit once said "If you can't say something nice...don't say nothing at all."
****************************************************************
02/27: The Lantern Festival was a lot of fun. The first park we went to was the same park my host family took me to visit. Unfortunately, we just missed the tiger show :( We were going to wait until 7 pm, but we needed to head on over to the other park. The highlight this time was splurging and getting DQ.
I know...how pathetic...but I still got really excited seeing real life tigers.

The other park had so many lights and displays! There were also some rides. We rode on bumper cars. In China, we weren't required to wear seatbelts and drinking while driving the bumpers cars was no problem. There was also a baby in the front seat, which also wasn't a problem. I didn't realize until after the bumper cars that there was also go carts!!! I LOVE go carts! However, after splurging the whole month of February (hey, it's my birth month!), I decided I probably shouldn't.
One of the many gates
Red Lanterns
Me, Tiffany, and Jee
So, I couldn't figure out why everyone was wearing...devil horns?! Tiffany has been in China for 3 years, and her explanation was, it's like in America when we wear glow sticks...it's the equivalent of glow sticks.Right after our 3 minutes of bumper carsOne of the many vendorsThat's right folks...we saw the moon!! Oh, the things I took for granted before coming!Tower (I forgot the name of it)
********************************************************************
Classes begin tomorrow. I have so many more pictures, but I need to start getting ready for school.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What great pics! Enjoy the sights and sounds of China! One semester to go!
love,
mom