Sunday, April 18, 2010

Roller skating, close calls, and miscommunication

These past few weeks have been rather uneventful. It’s been gray (surprise) and rainy. But, I do have a few stories to share.

On 04/10, a group of us went roller skating. Back in the day (Woodland Heights days), I used to enjoy the monthly roller skating nights. That was probably the last time I went roller skating (we’re talking like 15 years). Roller skating is NOT like riding a bike. Getting back on a bike in Mali was MUCH EASIER than roller skating. But, it could have to do with the swarms of people (Friday night is popular for roller skating), people skating in any direction they please, or people skating backwards…or the fact that I forgot how to do it! I’ve been called “spastic” while roller skating (thanks Moose). I admit I do tend to make jerky arm movements. Well, I was pretty proud of myself because I was able to go around the ring a few times. It doesn’t matter that people were passing me skating backwards…smoking. Well, some jerk “jumps” (according to Moose) on me, and I hit the ground in .22 seconds. And, it wasn’t like I just fell down on my rear end. I fell down on my BACK. Anyway, the guy did say “sorry”. I was too shocked to say anything. Moose did help me up, and it was funny except my shoulder blades were killing me. Maybe next time I’ll go on a Monday night….

Yesterday Moose and I met an RPCV and a college kid who studying abroad. While we were crossing the street (there was a green person so I had the right away), I saw a bike and a moto approaching. I tend to think everybody should stop for me, but I learned yesterday that not everybody thinks like I do. The bike did stop…but the motorcycle didn’t…the motorcycle did make contact with the bike and me, but it really could have been bad. Everybody was fine, and I imagine I was dinner table conversation last night.

Today I went to my homestay parents’ house. I called yesterday morning to make sure it was okay. “Welcome welcome!” Yesterday night, I thought I was calling Jason (RPCV) but I accidently called my host dad. I said, “Excuse me. I think call friend. Tomorrow. Good or not good?” What I MEANT to say, “Sorry dad. I didn’t mean to call you. I was trying to call my friend. See you tomorrow!” My host father interpreted “friend” as I am bringing a friend there tomorrow for lunch. And I can totally see that now. So, I show up at 12, and they excitedly ask, “Where’s your friend?” Huh? I walk into the kitchen and she has dish after dish after dish prepared. Ehhhh…what to do? I call my friend Mai and briefly explained that I messed up and need her to come over and eat. She told me she already ate, but I was like, just come over and pretend to eat. She agrees. So, she and her friend come over. There were 7 dishes. I was relieved that they came and ate.

This week, the freshmen have to go to military training so I have 3 fewer classes the next 2 weeks! The kids get to bring a small little sack with them. I think they get 1 shower for the 2 weeks they are there (not sure). They aren’t allowed to use cell phones. Most of them are absolutely dreading it.

May 1-3 is Labor’s Days. My students told me happily, we get 3 days off. I looked at a calendar and the 1st and 2nd are on the weekend. Those aren’t days off. Those are free days. Moose and I want to go to the beach, but the school still doesn’t know what days we get off. It’s like in 2 weeks and nobody knows. And the only people it bothers is the foreigners. Oh China.

No comments: