Saturday, November 10, 2007

Another Week Has Come and Gone



This week was a good week with the exception of Tuesday (I believe. I forgot my journal, so I’m doing this off my memory.) I was sick on Tuesday. Went I told others, they asked what I ate. I said eggs and bread. They told me that the eggs probably made me sick, but I explained that I ate eggs every day…Go figure. Glad it was only a day and equally as glad that I can vomit in the toilet where I don’t have to see flies and maggots.
Other than that, it’s been a pretty uneventful week.
I broke down Wednesday (I think) because I found out the guy who sells gas is homeless. It just made me really sad. Poverty is everywhere, but because it hit so close to home, I guess it made it more real to me. He speaks Bambara, and I speak a little French, so I told my friend Mama that if he is interested in going to the Caisse (similar to a bank, but you don’t need a lot of money to open an account), I would be more than willing to help him go to the Caisse and help him get an account open (I know you’re thinking what can you do…perhaps just moral support). But again, he may be fine sleeping outside. I personally think his quality of life would be better if he could lock up the gas and truly sleep, not just rest in a broken lounge chair.
I finally got my shower fixed! Hurray! It dripped constantly!! I was trying to make the best out of the situation, so I put a huge bucket under the dripping water, but it got real old. And besides, clothes left in water for 5 days smells bad. I should have done laundry every day, but I think unmotivated would be the best word for doing laundry (by hand might I add) every day. The repair guy came and fixed it. I washed my hands honestly 5 minutes after he left and water was coming out of where the hot water handle should be. (Who would have thought the shower and sink where connected somehow?) I called him back, and it took him 30 minutes to come back! He ended up coming back the next day to fix it. I’m glad I got that taken care of!
Last night, Trinh and I made stir fry. It was delicious! (I actually did the pasta, Trinh did every thing else.) But, I went to the market to get everything. The lady only spoke Bambara, so some guy helped. I didn’t realize my knowledge of French numbers…not so good. I was frustrated. Then, she laughed at me! The guy who spoke some English asked if I were mad. I said no. I was simply embarrassed. I hate being embarrassed. That sounds so stupid. I mean, really, who likes embarrassment? Sigh. Also last night, I got my picture taken at the boutique. We are doing a Sikasso Girls Calendar to help raise money for projects in the Sikasso region. As soon as I know where you can order them, I’ll let you knowJ (all proceeds going to a worthy cause).
I think the calendar shot...nice tan lines!
The guys working at the store and me

This morning, I went back to the English Club. I don’t think I’ll ever get over how motivated these kids are to come on a Saturday at 8 am! I woke up at 6:55 and seriously considered going back to sleep. Also, the bike ride was 20ish minutes and at an incline. I think if I had to do that twice a day (they get a few hours for lunch for praying), I think I would have played hooky a lot in high school…
I was sitting in class this morning and was thinking, how awesome would it be if every member of the English Club could receive a French/English dictionary? I told Trinh, and she thought that was a great idea too, so we are going to work on getting dictionaries. She suggested writing to a publisher. I’ll keep y’all posted on our progress of obtaining dictionaries.
Today, I hope Auburn can redeem itself. Last year, Auburn lost to University of Georgia (I’m talking about football in case you are wondering) my senior year at Auburn. My last home football game as a student, might I add. I hope I get bragging rights this year! (There are 2 UGA alumni PCV).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No bragging rights this year--but there's always next year.
love,
a.m.