Sunday, November 4, 2007

Integrating City Girl

This is How I Roll...

Many people have told me that the first three months are slow due to adjusting to the culture, practicing the language and such. I guess it’s different for me because I’m a city girl! Who would have thought that I would ever classify myself as a city girl?
Running daily with Trinh has been good for me. Some days are better than others, and I had a bad running day last week. So bad it made it to the blog! I understand how bullied children feel. It sucks. And, ignoring it always doesn’t work. The kids were tormenting us. I think I have it better because I can’t understand all of what they are saying where as Trinh can. It was sad that I was spending my “clear my head” time thinking about all the kids that were causing me distress [this sentence was edited]. I know, the kids are like 10 and they are getting under my skin…sad but true.

Mama and me after our new 'dos


Halloween 2007 was fun….not out of control crazy fun, but fun. I wore an orange skirt and black shirt. Nobody got it except the other PCVs. My friend Mama whom I haven’t seen in a while held a wig in her hand. She was going to the beauty shop and wanted to know if I wanted to come. I was really tired, but I was thinking earlier how I need to integrate more, so I went. The ladies were really nice. They first braided Mama’s hair and then sewed in the wig. Pretty neat. I didn’t bring any money, but they braided my hair too. They didn’t pull it as tight as I think they would have if I were Malian, but that’s okay with me. So, for Halloween, we made chili, no bake cookies, and I brought a watermelon.


Close Up of my new 'do

The Cutest Little Boy and me (did you notice the orange and black?)

I went to my first Malian baptism. Let me back up a bit. When a Malian is pregnant, people do not talk about it. No congratulations, no when are you due, no baby showers, nothing. It was explained to me that people see it as “we know what you were doing 6 months ago…” I personally think because infant death rates are so high here, people don’t want to acknowledge pregnancy because if they lose the baby, they have to acknowledge death also. So, a week after the baby is born, the men get together at like 6 am (after prayer of course!) and the baby is given a name. I don’t know what else goes on here because it’s “for men only”. But, in the afternoon, the women get together. I can describe this because that is what I attended. First of all, I have never attended a baby shower or baptism like this before! Katy and I went to this ladies house (even though we didn’t know who the mom was, padi problem! (not a problem!) When we got there, we sat on a rug because all the chairs were filled. The baby was the child of a big time person, hence why so many people came. I forgot to introduce myself and I forgot to tell them I worked at OMATHO. Oops. Oh, well. Within the first 10 seconds, they passed the baby to us. She was precious! Her name is Nana, and Katy (Malian name Tata) took a picture of us. Check this blog after Thanksgiving because I’ll get the picture from her and post it. Meanwhile, these 2 ladies with microphone/megaphone type things were singing/shouting out blessing. It was crazy! You would give them money and tell them who to bless. We brought soap as a gift. There was a huge tub that you could put the soap in. There was another tub full of fabric! I couldn’t believe how much fabric these women brought the new mom and her child! (another example of the status of the father). We left before they began to eat. When we were leaving, some lady gave Tata a blessing and asked for money. What? We didn’t give her any money. I’m sure she cursed us, but we couldn’t understand her so whatever. Apparently, we were suppose to give a blessing back, but right now, my French isn’t doing so good…there’s no way I can attempt to memorize Bambara blessings! I still haven’t even mastered the Bambara greetings!!! (Good morning. How did you sleep? How is your family? How is your home? Etc. etc.)
Sign for the Festival

Mymoona, me, Marium at the Kickoff



At The Beginning Ceramony

The Festival “Triangle du Balafon” has been so much fun! I’m so glad I went!!! It’s a 3 day competition, so tonight is the last night. The music and dancing and singing…so much fun! And, last night, I sat 2 seats behind the Minister of Culture. You might be saying, whoop big deal, but people stand when he enters a room. I thought it was cool. I don’t know if people are posting pictures and such online, but I would be curious to see if they did.

Stadium where the nightly competitions take place

Lastly, I went to the English Club meeting yesterday at the local high school. Finally, something I’m good at!!! It was so cool to see 90 plus kids on a Saturday morning at 8 am!!! It was funny contrasting the roads to the school to the roads at Dorman University. It was a dirt road and 2 cars couldn’t pass each other without one of them getting into the ditch. Most kids road their bikes and a few had motos. Not everybody had a seat, so there were kids hanging out the window. I hope the kids continue to be motivated and come regualarly.Whew! What a week!

I encourage everyone to check out www.hallmark.com/red. I actually saw these bags being made in Mali. If you want any more information about them, send me an email. They make great Christmas presents and will be going to a much worthy cause.

When I took out my braids...

3 comments:

jacoba2 said...

Hey Girl! Lovin the AF shirt you wore to the festival, oh how it takes me back!

Unknown said...

I like to reread your blog after I have what I perceived to have been a rough day. So proud of you!
a.m.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
Moms right, I just thought some of my days were rough. Its all in the perception!!! Continue running, it'll help with the mental therapy part of life, and when they are giving you a hard time--they're just jealous!!!! Give them that beautiful smile and you'll win them over!!!

Hang in there,
Libby