Sunday, December 23, 2007

Tabaski in Mali (WARNING: THERE ARE SOME GRAPHIC PICTURES ON THIS POSTING)


After my time in Gao, I spent a day doing absolutely nothing. I felt bad because I should be integrating more. Oh, well. Some days are like that.
On December 20th, we had the big Tabaski feast. It was so much fun! I saw a sheep being slaughtered for the first time. It was…gross. I was kind of hiding behind a tree and almost got sick. I think Echin’s family really got a kick out of me going around taking pictures of the ram. When the man was done and they started cooking it, I began to yawn. Echin asked if I needed to rest. I said sure, so I thought I would go inside and lay down on the couch. Nope, they had a little iron bed outside, and they dragged it under a tree. The girls then brought out a mattress, so I took a nap, in a bed, under a tree while they were cooking the ram. When I woke up, I had a smile on my face. How funny I thought! Lunch was absolutely delicious! I stuffed myself silly and didn’t even eat dinner.
Then next day, I didn’t go to work, because Tabaski is 2 day holiday or something. (I found out today that it’s a 7 day holiday…wish we holidayed like that in the States! Even though it’s annoying that the things that I use i.e. internet cafes are also closed.) The banks, post office, etc. were closed. I did some wash, and hung out with another volunteer who is in town and is about to leave for Christmas.
Yesterday, I did more wash (it takes a lot longer when you don’t have a washing machine). I also went to a photo exhibit. The website for it is http://www.globalization.com/ . I made the executive decision to stay in Sikasso for Christmas. It would cost 10,000 CFA for just transportation. I would probably be sharing a hotel room with 8 other people, and I will be going to Bamako in about 2 weeks. So, Christmas in Sikasso, NY in Sikasso, and January 5th or 6th, I will be heading to Bamako. I’ll go a few days before training in Tabinso so I will have time to go spice shopping and visit my Malian family.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

And lastly, my favorite picture

I was going to write captions, but the pictures are definitely self explanatory.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas!
Certainly a colorful posting.
love,
mom