Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas Time in Mali

On Christmas Eve, I went to the post office and received two more Christmas cards, along with a Christmas box from my Aunt Sue. It’s interesting how some cards get here so fast (one was postmarked 12/10) while the others don’t (the other cards was postmarked 11/15). That afternoon was spent making delicious treats! I made peanut butter blossoms, Jessie made Mexican wedding cakes, Anna made chocolate chip cookies, and Laura made pumpkin bread. We decided to get pizza and burgers for dinner. The only problem with American food is that it is really expensive so I buy it for special occasions only. I split a pizza with Laura. It was so good! Afterwards, Anna, Laura, and I went to the Protestant church for the Christmas Eve service. We arrived 10 minutes late. We waited one hour and forty five minutes and it still hadn’t started, so we decided to leave. I was so tired, and the service would have been in Bambara anyway.

Christmas Day was extremely different not being with my family. I woke up at 8 am (which is EXTREMELY late for me on Christmas day), and opened 2 presents (I was a bad girl and opened a few of them last week.) I got an Auburn cell phone cover and bike accessories. I then had a wonderful pancake breakfast with the other volunteers (Calita’s dad went to town…he mailed her Aunt Jemima’s syrup! And she was so kind and shared!) and omelets. I then dozed off while a movie played. I then called my family in SC. I talked to my Mom (she was coming in from the hospital, visiting my aunt’s sister-in-law who just broke her hip), my Dad, and they woke up my little brother. Sometimes I wonder about him. Who doesn’t wake up at the crack of down and wait in anticipation for the magic hour? My little brother. Even when he was little and suppose to be the most excited (one would think), my older brother and I ALWAYS had to wake him up. Even in our twenties.

It was nice talking to everybody. I then called my older brother. I left a message, but called back later and got him. I then spoke to his finance. It was nice talking to them. We got vegetables and potatoes for dinner. Anna and Laura were making “twice baked potatoes”, but they were only once baked before the gas went out. Sigh. We tried getting more gas, but nobody was open. So, we had once baked potatoes, watched Home Alone. The exciting part of the day was when the rat/mouse the size of a large kitten made it’s appearance. I didn’t realize how a rodent can get me so worked up. I immediately stood on the chair, just screaming. We had to get a Malian to come in and kill it. I’m so chill with insects, fish, etc. But rodents? Not so much.

I got home 11ish, showered, and wanted to talk to my family again, so I called again. My Mom and brother took Kramie (our dog) and Edy (brother’s fiancés’ dog) to Miliken to run around. Miliken is great because there are lakes and ducks and it is acres upon acres to run around. Basically, it’s a dogs’ paradise. It was Edy’s first time, and she just loved it! Kramie always loves it. When we turn down the road, Kramie knows what’s coming, and begins to cry and wiggle with excitement. When they got home, the Edster conked out watching the new HP. My Dad got my Mom the Malian mud bag from Hallmark, which is really nice. My Dad has been know to forget to buy presents on Christmas, birthday, etc., so I think my Mom was extremely surprised. All in all, it sounded like they had a very merry Christmas, as did I, so I had a smile on my face before falling asleep.

I went back to work on the 27th. It was definitely hard getting out of the bed because I hadn’t been in over a week (trip to Gao, day of rest, Tabaski, post Tabaski, Christmas Eve, Christmas, post Christmas). I felt productive. PC gave us this sheet we needed to fill out (actually, 3 pages of questions), and I got most of it done.

On the 28th, I completed the rest of it. It’s challenging because a lot of the questions are for rural volunteers and don’t really apply to me in the city.

On Saturday, I went to a SIDA ceremony. I watched them play soccer. It made me think of my little brother.

Today, I have 3 hours of tutoring.

Like I said before, I am spending New Year’s in Sikasso. On January 3rd, I will be going to Bamako. I am planning on visiting my Malian family and doing some fabric and spice shopping. I am looking forward to seeing everybody at Tabinso!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie, glad to hear you had a very merry christmas also! i just wanted to say it was GLORIOUS waking up to talk to you and jamie, then going back to bed until 1:30 before i considered getting up for presents! haha even though, i definitely think it was overkill getting up that late, but i figured i was making up for all the years yall got me up too early! and im glad your thinkin about me when you see kids playing soccer! its about to all start up again, including 'los...haha have a good week though! love lil bro

Unknown said...

The truth is that presents weren't even opened until 3:30 p.m.--which was fine.
Glad you had a merry little Christmas. Now on to thinking about the New Year and your birthday!
love,
a.m.