Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Year's 2008 and then some

New Year's 2008 was so much fun! I was in Sikasso with Anna, Brooke, Lindsay, and Christine. Christine is getting her Ph.D. and is doing research in Mali for a few months and then she will go on to another country.
Right now, I am in Bamako (using free internet:). I went to my homestay village of Droit II today. I found out yesterday that my Malian father passed away last week. I got really emotional when I saw my MM (Malian Mom), covered in white, laying on a mattress on the floor in the living room. Of course, crying is a faux pas in Mali (don't do it!), but I am emotional. Sigh. I ate lunch with my MM and sister and my MM's sisters. My MM is so thoughtful and bought me a soft drink! And, she paid me the highest compliment I could ever receive...she said I was "faultless" (which we all no is not true, but it was still a really great compliment!) I also was able to see 2 of my brothers.

Afterwards, I went to a "Tubab store" (similar to an American supermarket, but not quite...) and had so much fun walking up and down every single aisle! I then had the best cheeseburger of MY LIFE and am now using the free interent, getting attacked by the mosquitoes. Always something.

My Malian Father, RIP: 1954-December 24, 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie, I am so sorry to hear about your Malian Dad. I am glad you got to visit with your MM and sibling while they are going through this rough time. Hang in there, we are all looking forward to seing you in April. Love, Donna