Saturday, January 12, 2008

Tubaniso

It's so different being back at "summer camp". (Some volunteers have another name for it, but I wouldn't go there.) This week has gone by sooo slow!! When I first got to Bamako, I had a delicious cheeseburger...probably one of the best of my life!!! Honestly. And, then I got ice cream:) I got caramel and chocolate, and it was real ice cream, none of that fake cheap stuff they have in Sikasso! I forgot how much I've missed REAL ice cream!! It was amazing!!!! The next day I got another cheeseburger, and to my surprise, it was better than the day before!!!! The last day we were in Bamako before going to Tubaniso, I got 4 scoops of ice cream! But, before you start judging me, the scoops are way smaller than America. I was really loving life!! 2 chocolate scoops and 2 caramel!! (This is why I can't go to Bamako alot b/c Bamako sucks the money right out of you!!!)

I've been SHOCKED at how cold Mali can get at night!!! We have campfires every night. I checked www.weather.com and the low for Bamako was 54!!! I'm convinced that because Tabinso is near Bamako and not in Bamako, it must be at least 10 degrees colder here!!!

I took my language test again. On paper, I haven't improved in 3 months. Which, I know is a lie! But, I'm still really frustrated. Sigh.

I haven't found the sessions super helpful, thanks to all the wonderful business classes I took at Auburn. But, I have found the guest speakers super motivational. One guy had me so motivated! I'm ready (except the minor language barrier) to go back to site to get some work done!!! For the next 3 months, my goals are:
~I'm am going to encourage the construction completion at Waroni. There are some issues with that, but that's another story for another day.
~I am also going to work on getting signs up for the tourist sites.
~I will begin working on a map of Sikasso. Sikasso has a paragraph in the Lonely Planet West Africa book, but I would love to have more information and a map to send the publisher! (I don't know if that will do anything, but it's important to me to try.)

The more I think about it, the more I want to start a girls after school club. I will continue to work on my French so I don't look like a complete doofus. Also, a few months ago, I was approached by a community near where I live because most of their wells are dried up. During hot season, the women have to get up at 3 am to get clean water! I told them I would assist them, and I think one of the speakers gave me the contact information I need. I think (but I need to encourage what the community wants), that because they are so close to the city, they should think about getting the pipes extended...which costs a lot of money, but it's where the organization I am going to contact would come into play. I'll keep you posted.

I'm going to Bamako today because I only brought 1 long-sleeved shirt with me. I can't wash it because it's my only source of warmth! I haven't taken it off in over a week! Seriously, I sleep in it, I go to meetings in it, I exercise in it, etc.) So, I'm going used-clothes shopping for some warm clothes!! (I know I am going to laugh hysterically at the post in about 2 months.) Who would have thought? I might get some more ice cream while I'm there....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Going to buy a long shirt to stay warm and ice cream? Ummmm.
Love you!
mom

Anonymous said...

You eat alllllll the ice cream you want!!!! There'll never be another time in your life that you'll be able to do that without the guilt!!! I say any enjoyment you can find over there is yours for the taking!!! I sent you an update--should get there soon.
Love,
Libby R