Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Slow Week

This past week dragged on and on. But, it’s now Saturday, and I am hosting a Farwell Bash for Jacq. She is extending her Peace Corps service in China! I was cleaning my house this morning when the water got cut. Sigh. Always something.
My homologue is traveling around Mali and then going to Germany. It seems like the saying, “when the cat is away, the mice will play” seems pretty relevant to the work environment too. PC is coming down to Sikasso in a few weeks, which will be really good. We need to sit down and have a meeting. It’s frustrating because some really basic things that would, I feel, really improve tourism, can’t be done because of money. (Don’t get me started!!!) Anyway, I think/hope this meeting will be beneficial for everybody, especially me to give me some guidance of where I need to go.
I can be pushy and demanding in America, but I seem to have put that away here and am somewhat passive. I don’t want to step on anybody’s toes because that wouldn’t accomplish anything. But, I do think I need to take more of a stand.
Trinh, Laura, Chelsea, and I did make ice cream last Tuesday. It unfortunately didn’t turn out as planned because the bowl wasn’t frozen. But, the cold creamy mixture was delicious and I definitely see potential.
On Thursday, I went around with the Water Sanitation APCD. We checked out a new site for a volunteer coming this year. Chelsea was getting a ride back to her site, and I basically went so I could check on the progress of the campament. When Chelsea and I saw the house for the new volunteer and we looked at each other and laughed! (So bad I know!) It is so small! My porch is bigger than the house! Chelsea and I both think a guy should live there! The volunteer should also have an amazing attitude and really wanting the classic PC experience. The community built the first house too close to the road, so they had to tear it down and build it again (I personally think the APCD should have given the community specific requirements, but whatever). Anyway, I think they are going to build an outside kitchen which will definitely make it better. When I went to Waroni, nobody was working. I do not think the campament will be finished for the upcoming tourist season, but maybe they will prove me wrong.
It is about to storm! Storms are great because it really cools things off. I do not like how so much dirt is stirred up or how I think trees may fall down or when mangos fall off the trees, but overall, storms are so pleasant!

The computer is being stupid so I cannot post pictures. Sorry!

2 comments:

Adam Sherman, GPSS Vice President said...

Hi Katie! I didn't know you were keeping a regular blog. I read several posts and really enjoyed them. I'll add you blog to my blog roll on my blog site so my friends can check it out too. If you want to check out mine its at www.adam-sherman.blogspot.com.

Keep hope alive. It really does get better after the first year and it really does go by faster!

Unknown said...

Sorry you are so frustrated. I get frustrated too--my patients keep smoking, they are obese, everybody wants a magic pill instead of personal effort--so it's life.
I remain very proud of you.
Love,
a.m.