Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sikasso



Well, I survived my first week back. It hit me a few days ago that I won’t be in America until 2009!! I guess I wasn’t thinking about that when I was in America. For so many months, I thought, well, when I’m in America, I’ll remember to bring this back. I have to stop doing that!

Pict of Casablanca

Anyway, here’s a few highlights of my week:
On my ride home to Sikasso, I was exhausted! My sleep schedule is crazy! I typically wake up at 2 am and go back to sleep 5ish. So, I was laying down, even before the car left the PC office! We hit a really bumpy road, and I thought maybe we are taking the back way. Well, I tried to stay awake for a little bit, but I didn’t recognize anything! The trees were different, the road, I swear, was smaller, and I thought, man you really must be tired! So, I slept for 3 hours, and when I woke up, I asked if we made it to Bogoni yet. The driver explained that we were going to Segou then Kouticala then Sikasso, not the Bogoni to Sikasso route. This, explains why everything looked so different! It wasn’t because I was exhausted (even though that is true), it was because we were on a different road!

Pict: my porch

As I knew before I left, my house was FILTHY! But, kids are always wanted to help me, so I let them.

I went to work Monday morning, and was wondering why everyone was stopping at the particular intersection. I was thinking there was probably a wreck or something, but then I looked up and lo and behold…Sikasso has a WORKING stoplight! I couldn’t believe it! I wonder how long this will last. (We have always had stoplights, but they are never on.) Only time will tell. Monday night, I woke up with a migraine. I use to get migraines semiannually in the states, but I’m working on every other month in Mali! So, when I woke up, I called work and let them know that I wasn’t going to make it in. I slept until 2! I then ate lunch and hung out with another volunteer. I felt bad because Echin came to my house that night. He called, and I let him know I wasn’t home. I believe he was either inviting me to dinner, or he brought me dinner. Either way, I felt bad.

On Thursday, I was sooo exhausted! I tried not napping during the day, but would still wake up in the middle of the night. Anyway, I was just going through the motions: peddle, peddle, peddle, but I hit a bump, and off my bike I went! I’m thankful that: I didn’t have my camera in my purse, wasn’t transporting the ice cream maker, and nobody else ran over me. I was more embarrassed than hurt. But that sure woke me up!

Yesterday my outside door wouldn’t open. A Malian broke the lock for me. But, I was, I don’t know, irritated with PC because I’m suppose to replace it because it’s a “minor repair”. I don’t know, I guess I feel like they should replace it because it is a “safety and security issue.”

Okay, now that my trip to the States is over, here’s a look of my calendar of events:

May 30th: Emily’s Birthday Party in Sikasso

July 4th: Celebrating the 4th in Manitali

July 23th: Ghana (I hope!!!)

Early September: Festival in Kayes

October?: Gambia (again, I hope! And, I have to look at my funds…or should I say lack of funds?)

Early November: Balafone Festival in Sikasso

November 27th: Thanksgiving in Sikasso

November 28th: Mexican Night @ my place!

More events to come!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=fr&q=map%20sikasso%20region&lr=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Map so you know what places I am talking about.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope our visit makes your calendar!
I'm looking at scheduling our shots this summer.
love,
a.m.

Anonymous said...

Good thing that ice cream maker is safe...whew. :) -Jamie