Sunday, April 27, 2008

Back to Life, Back to Reality

My last week in America was so wonderful! I was excessive in all that I did. I bought too much, ate too much, and interneted too much. The night before leaving, I went to sleep before I was done packing , but I made a list of crucial things I needed to remember. I was frantic the next morning, but I only managed to forget one crucial document and a long sleeved shirt! NY was so cold! Anyway, my flights went well. The Morocco airport was quite frustrating. I just wanted to go to the hotel to sleep, but we got a few different answers. I befriended a Malian in NY (she lives in DC now), so we were frustrated together. We finally made it to the hotel, and I crashed. I woke up for meals, and I did shower, but that's all I did in Casablanca.
I arrived safely back in Mali this morning, 2 am ish. I was asleep (or almost asleep) but as the cat perks up as it hears the can opener, I too, perk up when I hear the wheels on the food cart! So, I had 2 dinners last night. I got a ride with a Malian who is currently living in Canada. I was delighted! I DETEST getting ripped off. I wasn't aware that he hasn't seen his family in 6 years! So, he brought not 1 not 2 but 9 BAGS! And, a big screen tv! (for his mama!) I felt somewhat of a nuisance, but I do believe he would have had to get a cab for his stuff anyway because the trunk in his car wouldn't open. He was so kind, and I hope that he is repaid for his kindness later on in life.
I made it to the hotel at 5 am! I slept until 4 pm! I'm going to have dinner w/some other PCV, so that should be fun. I leave for Sikasso on Saturday! (I <3 PC transport!!)
Back to life, back to reality...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy your time in Mali! It will pass as quickly as the last 3 weeks did for me!
love,
a.m.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back safely! Eat lots of mangoes since the one we thought was a mango wasn't! :)