Saturday, September 27, 2008

I Bleed Orange and Blue!!! Always and Forever

My pregame pict before i went to sleep




Like I said on the previous post, Auburn played LSWHO last Saturday. Even a continent away, I got really excited on game day, and was totally rocking an Auburn shirt and flip flops. Well, fellow PCV and LSWHO Alum, Kyle and I made a bet. I said money at first, but then we agreed that the loser would go to the other persons site and be their servant for a day, wearing the other teams shirt. Well, I was super pumped because my house could always use a good cleaning. I am so thankful my daddy understands how much I LOVE AU football, and he called me at half time. Auburns up!! It was 1:30 am my time, but I was super excited!! I felt like I was there! When he hung up, I don’t think I slept. When I got another telephone call at 3:30 am, I was ready! I was singing “It’s great to be an Auburn Tiger” in my head. “Kate…I’m sorry” $#$% is what I was thinking. Anyway, after he described the game, I am still proud of my Auburn Tigers. War Eagle!!! So, next week, I am going to Segou to settle my bet. I would rather be his servant for an ENTIRE WEEK than wear that skanky, hideous, yellow and purple shirt! But, a bet is a bet.

I actually used my goofy horn this past week! It was really funny because I was biking along and then this guy is on his moto, and if he continued his course of action, would have ran straight into me! So, I honked. He started laughing, and I did too. So, if I ever get hit, at least both parties will be laughing.

This has been a week of bugs. There was this ginormous bug on my porch! I put him in my stairwell. He either fell down the flights of stairs or just dropped, but the next morning, he was on his back at the bottom of the stairs. I was hoping that my tutor knew the name of the bug, so I asked what’s that? He told me a worm. I explained that wasn’t a worm. He then told me it’s a big bug. But then again, if someone where to ask me what the name of a bug was (other than a lightening bug, lady bug, or grasshopper), I probably wouldn’t know either.

Monday (September 22) was Mali’s Independence Day. I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was going to be like the fete Tabaski (in December). The food was delicious and who doesn’t like a day off from work? But, there were no hot dogs, hamburgers, fireworks, etc. But, I was totally sporting the fabric!
Lye and me next to the camera shy geese

Tuesday was basically like Christmas for me. 3 BOXES!!! It is absolutely marvelous! And, one box had an eight page letter!!

Because I have an absurd amount of chapstick, I decided to give one to the Mama (the teenager who cleans my clothes). I gave her the Nesquick Chapstick. Later that day, her mom asked what it was. The knob was completely broken. It actually looked like there were teeth marks on it. Then it occurred to me that she probably has never used chapstick before and had no idea what to do with it! And, I bet the chocolate flavor threw her way off! Oh the things you assume everyone knows!

On Thursday, I had a meeting with the Environmental Conservation management. It was a great meeting! Even though all the paper work is so tedious at times, it was so great to designate responsibilities. I am excited and confident in this project now!

Yesterday, I helped Mama cut onions. Malians typically cut the food in their hands. I would cut my hand. So, I brought out my cutting board and sharp knife. They definitely got a kick out of it. I began crying, and apparently, I don’t know if it’s a Malian thing or what, but Mama put a piece of onion on my head and it is suppose to help with the crying. It might have been a mental thing, but it worked! Until it fell off my head, and I had to put another piece on and then I think it lost it’s magic. Also, when I went to Echin’s house yesterday afternoon, I sat down and watched a guy shaving 2 goat heads. It was fascinating! I did feel a little bad for the goat, waiting in line. I’m sure he could smell the death of his friends. I can’t tell who gets more entertainment out of the geese: Lye or me. They are so cool! I wonder if I could have both labs and geese…

I am learning more Bambara! Not exactly the ideal Friday night, but it was good. But, after studying, instead of taking a bath (no bath tub), I did the second best thing; I soaked my feet in hot soapy water. Wonderful! I should have started doing that a long time ago!

And, on Saturday morning, Makan and I began to work on the paperwork for the PCPP project (the project where the village is asking for funding for the tap system). It’s so long and tedious, but we made progress. Next week, I will examine where the committee has decided the best location for the tap system. Also on the agenda, I will be going to Segou region for completing my side of the bet (I will NOT allow photography in that…shirt), and I will also work with Mary on the map of Sikasso. Apparently, it looks so good (and it does!) the mayor wants to get it in color and make it poster size! So, Mary and I will also work on the poster. 2 birds with 1 stone.


I miss my brothers

4 comments:

jacoba2 said...

HEY GIRL! Got your postcard! hope you got my letter. I was just checking out your book list, and DANG you've read a lot since you've been there. I am going to try to come visit in the spring before you leave and before I'm deployable. I love you and miss you! Can't believe I haven't seen you in over a year. WOW!

amy J

Unknown said...

Oh, I so love the brother pic and comment!
love,
a.m.

Anonymous said...

haha funny picture, kinda similiar to the cannon kids...we miss you too katie!
-lil bro

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! I tried emailing you a few weeks ago, but afterwards i thought - she probably doesn't have the same email anymore. Anyway, hope you're doing awesome - sounds like you're having a great time! I will try to get in touch soon!
Kelli