Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Senegal, Birthday, and Internet Fun!

Senegal

Linds and me waiting on our cab driver in Sikasso...
Cute neighbor that always greets me

Senegal was absolutely amazing! While Team Mali didn't do so great at softball (0-4), we had a marvelous time!

Our journey began a little rocky b/c we were lied to (surprise). We were going to leave at 6 am with Malians aboard.
Anna and me...smiling early in the morning....before being lied to
They pick us up ON TIME! What a shocker! But then they drove us to the bus station, and we have to switch buses. Then they told us we are leaving at 14. 14 turned out to be 15, but whatever. We got to Kayes, spent a few hours there and then departed for Dakar!! It was probably one of the longest bad roads I have been on. I'm talking like 9 hours of unpaved road on a big bus. 24 hours from Kayes to Dakar. Anyway, we finally made it! I went to get my bag off the bus, and my bag (sorry Jamie!) was the last bag....drenched in gasoline. And they tried to wipe it off with their hand! Really?! Anyway, I demanded soap, even though I knew I would have to clean it later.
We were the first volunteers at the American Club. I had to rewash my bag. But, I took hands down, a shower that would make it in top 3 of "Best Showers of my Life". Marvelous! I also got a ham and cheese sandwich (yes, the cheese was melted:)
My first of many ham sandwiches
My homestay then ran into another problem. Our homestay "mom and dad" were out of town and didn't tell the guard or maid we were coming! So, we finally got in, but we didn't have mattresses. Sigh.
02/14: I made it on time to our first game! We played some high school kids and they handed it to us. I did go swimming even though it was so cold!
That afternoon, we had another game.
That evening, the Marines hosted a party. It was so much fun! And, we auctioned off a fellow PCV to raise money for Gender and Development. Casey was one of two that actually got bought. Every body else got their country to buy them! Way to go Casey!
02/15: We played another two games. I overslept for the first game. Whoops. Really, who puts the social softball teams at 9 am? That afternoon, I went downtown with Amanda and Mariska to eat at N'ice Cream. It was FANTASTIC!!! Chocolate and caramel deliciousness in a cone!
That evening, there was a huge party near the ocean. It was crazy!
Adele and me before hitting the party
HUGE lab at our homestay...miss you Kdog!
02/16: I went with some PCVs to Goree Island. It was a nice boat trip. It was also good getting out of the American club bubble. We had lunch by the sea, and walked around. Unfortunately, the slave castle was closed for no apparently reason (TIA), but I still had a great time.
me, Anna, Maridee, and Laura on the boat to Goree Island
Goree Island

Ben, Laura, Maridee, Pete, me, and Anna
Cannon's classic
02/17: Several PCVs decided to rent a beach house. So, we rented a bus (totally got ripped off...I HATE getting ripped off!) and we down to the beach house.
Amanda and me...South Carolina girls!
It was just fine for us, but I chuckled to myself if I came from America, how furious I would be if they told me, and this is your beach house. We had a great time! I played Spades, laid on the beach, and ate lots of sea food. That evening, we had a pretty incredible dance party.
Sunset from the roof
02/18: Another day at the beach! Went on a lovely walk, read, napped. That evening, we took group pictures on the beach. And, I did a backhand spring on the beach! Normally, this would not be impressive, but I haven't done one in oh 5 years! Anotoli would have been saddened by how ugly it was, but I was so impressed that my body was able to hold me up!
Jumping! I wish jumping pictures were cool when I was in high school...I could really jump back then

Linds, Ashley, and me watching the sunset


The Breakfast Club! (not everybody who came)
Meg, Becky, Anna, Dave, Emily, Lindsay, me, Mariska
One of my favorite picts

We had another feast, thanks to Rabbit! That evening was chill. Everybody was trying to get their stuff ready to leave.
02/19: We began waiting on transportation to Dakar at 6 am. I don't know what time we got it, but we made it to the bus station at 10:30 am. We walk in and are told that a bus leaves for Kayes every morning at 7. I would have liked to seen the devastation on our faces. I can't remember her name, but a lady that works for transportation in Dakar is an angel on earth. She made a few phone calls, and told us we got a bus. We were elated!!! I was so skeptical. West Africans tell you what you want to hear. But this time, she was telling the truth!
It was still terrible road, but at least we were moving!!!
02/20: We got into Kayes, and hung out there for the day. Emily, Kayes Kaw, told us that there is a cage with a hyena and an alligator. I really didn't believe her (I fell for it before....statues my friend). Anyway, she told me that they were alive, so Linds and I went to market and then saw the "zoo?". Sure enough, there was a hyena and an alligator.
This is how we roll in PC
The alligator

The hyena

We had another amazing meal, compliments of Rabbit. She is so talented!!!
02/21: We left the house at 3:45 am to walk to the bus station to get a bus. We were on the express bus, but our express bus got a flat tire. Our 8 hour trip became 10. Oh well.
That evening, we went out to eat to celebrate my birthday! My friends picked up the tab! It meant so much to me because we are all poor (it's all relative) PCVs. I got a roast beef sandwich, fries, and a brownie with ice cream on top! I unfortunately was too tired to dance, so I went back to the hotel room and slept blissfully.
Adele in her "new" outfit and me before dinner
^: Markam, Adele, Kirsten, Anna, Lindsey, me, Maridee
02/22: We left at 8 am to go to Sikasso. It was an uneventful bus ride. That evening, Audra, Maridee, and I had a joint birthday party. It was so much fun! We made spaghetti, salad, garlic bread, and 2 types of brownies! And, my friend Ransom paid for me!
IT'S OFFICIAL: We have internet at our bureau! When we came back from Kayes, there was internet there, and I heard we got it here, and it's true! No more fights with the internet tigis! No more "open" hours! Life is marvelous!
On Monday, I got some birthday boxes!! Encore on Wednesday!
This Saturday, I have a meeting with the village about the faucet. Next Tuesday, Makan and I are going to the water company to set up a time when they will do their part. I am having a really hard time giving them the money. I am going to ask if I can join them shopping.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow--great pics! Great adventures!
Good luck with the water company! I am happy Echin is on board to get it going.
Please give greetings to my friends.
love,
mah coulibally

Anonymous said...

Hey It looks like you had a great vacation. I can't wait to hear the not blog-worthy adventures! Love, Donna

jacoba2 said...

fyi, the guy in the very top picture in the background is probably the skinniest person ever, but he reminds me of me getting into the background of every picture i can

Anonymous said...

A- I didn't even notice him when I posted! I've seen some ridiculously thin people here. What breaks my heart is the malnurished kids.

~Katie

Anonymous said...

Happy late Birthday Katie!!! Sooooo soooooorrrrryy I've been sooo slack. My 87 year old Mom is going to end up killing me!! I thought kids were bad but she takes the cake!! Shes been in out hospital 8 times since last April. No excuse not to remember you but finally caught up with your blog and ALWAYS makes me smile!!.. Can't wait to get you back state side!!! I'll make it up to you promise!!
Love you,
Libby

Anonymous said...

Happy late Birthday Katie!!! Sooooo soooooorrrrryy I've been sooo slack. My 87 year old Mom is going to end up killing me!! I thought kids were bad but she takes the cake!! Shes been in out hospital 8 times since last April. No excuse not to remember you but finally caught up with your blog and ALWAYS makes me smile!!.. Can't wait to get you back state side!!! I'll make it up to you promise!!
Love you,
Libby