Sunday, February 15, 2009

WAIST 2009

I am currently sitting in an internet cafe in Dakar, Senegal.

The bus ride was....long. I spent 32 hours on a bus from Bamako to Dakar. We had lots of issues in Bamako, but just typical West Africa. They tell you something whether it's true or not. Americans would say that they are lying, but they don't see it that way. Anyway, we had a late start, but we got her safely and that's all that matters.

Senegal is amazing. I ate at N'ice Cream today. The best icecream I've had in West Africa. It's so crazy how much further along in development Senegal is compared to Mali. One simple example would be covered sewers. All over Senegal, the sewers are covered. Who would have thought the brillance of covering the sewers?

I also just saw a woman outside WALKING A DOG. Unbelievable. I smiled and thought about what the Malians would have said if they saw her.

WAIST is fun. I definitely should have practiced softball. I didn't realize that my hand-eye coordination has been deteriorating.

The Spartanburg Herald Journal recently did a story on a project here. The reason I contacted the newspaper was to help fundraise, but the money has already been raised. So, if you want to help PCVs all around the world, check out www.peacecorps.gov, Donate, Donate to Volunteer Projects.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank God for covered sewers. Maybe one year they will find their way to Mali.
So proud of you!
Love,
a.m., a.k.a, Mah Coulibally