Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Beautiful China

Today (June 16th) is Dragon Boat Festival Day. Unbeknownst to me, China says that South Korea stole this holiday. Maybe it's because I'm an American, and we tend to make things our own, but I just don't see what the big deal is. Regardless, we got 3 days off :) But, not really because we had to make up the days last weekend.

Anyway, thanks to this, um controversial of who's holiday is the Dragon Boat Festival first, China made this holiday "official" a few years back.

Andrew got this great idea that we should do something this holiday. He suggested Jiuzaigou. So, that is what we did for our holiday. (We WERE going to row a boat on Saturday, but we had to back out because, that's right. We had school.)

Jiuzaigou is the prettiest place I have ever seen in China.

The view from the bus



The water in the town....and we didn't even know it gets even BETTER!



Eating yak meat


Inside the park




Blue skies!!! They DO exist in China!



Trees!


Look at that water!



Andrew and I were going to walk all the way back to the beginning of the park. Little did we know exactly how far the bus took us. But, we did walk for several hours before flagging down a bus. During our hike, we saw a yak! It was just hanging out by the side of the road. I kept on visualizing it coming after us, and was trying to think of escape tactics. Luckily, it never came.



We decided to get on a path that was closed. I liked to think that we were taking the road less traveled. For a while, I thought it was so stupid that it was closed. And then we hit a part of the path that must have been hit by the earthquake in 2008. There were boulder type rocks that smashed our path. We had to balance, but managed to get through it.

It was such a fabulous minivacation!

Now, it's back to the real world. We have a week and 1/2 left of teaching and then we have exams.

I've been so busy these past few weekends! I'm really looking forward to doing nothing this weekend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Stunningly beautiful photos! I take it Beijing won't look like that?
mom

Will said...

gorgeous pics...nature is awesome