Sunday, October 14, 2007

A BIG week ahead of me!

Morning of Ramadan, view from my roof. Lovely!
Embarrassing Story of the Week:
There was a big meeting on Tuesday. I decided i would be good if I went to show that I'm interested and I care. I came in late (which is fine...WAIT), and there were a bunch of people sitting on the left side. I thought I would balance it out and sit on the right. I failed to notice that I was sitting on the side with all the elders. And, I didn't realize that I was sitting in the fancy, black executive chair (with all the elders), and I probably should have been on the crappy chair side. I knew I did something wrong by the looks I was getting. They were saying something, and the guy I worked with said "Corps de la Paix", and they let me slide. After 10 minutes into the meeting, I decided I would switch sides. I found out the next day, I sat in the mayor's seat...oops. (The mayor was later than me or I wouldn't have had the opportunity to sit in his seat!)
I think on Tuesday, I went around to all the hotels in Sikasso. Most of them are surprisingly nice! I already found the place where my parents are staying. It kinda reminds me of the Virgin Islands, it's near my apartment, and has a great view.
This past Friday was the end of Ramadan. I went through the market on Thursday night, and it was similar to last minute Christmas shopping. Craziness!!! Ramadan is like Christmas without music, decorations, Santa, church, etc.
I ate with my homologue Echin on Friday. We had 2 types of cous cous (but one wasn't called cous cous, it just looked like it), cow meat, lamb meat, vegetables, yogurt type thing, watermelon, papayas, AND bananas! I bet this is how Muslims feel during Christmas time. It was so cool walking around because all the kids got new outfits. Ramadan...it's a big deal. Some people go into debt 3 months of salary! It is acceptable if a wife doesn't get new clothes to leave her husband!
Lindsay came in from Bamako and we made banana bread in a brusse oven! I turned on the stove too high, so the ends were burnt and the center was cobbler like...I'm confident I will become a BB expert. (It's soooo good!:)
There is a film festival in Burkina Faso every two years, so February 2009, I'm going and am looking forward to it! I was planning on going to Egypt in May 2008, but I think it's going to cost 2 arms and a leg to get there...go figure...same continent! So, I'll try to hit it on my way out, after COS.
This week:
I have a tutor coming this week. Her name is Fati? Anyway, it will be great to have someone to practice my French with 24/7. She is staying at my house, and we get to eat at Echin's for lunch and dinner. (Not going to lie...pretty excited about that!) So, I hope that my French will improve drastically this week!
I go to the post office every Monday. I appreciate the other volunteers getting my mail, but I don't think they understand if they get my mail, I won't have anything on Monday! I love going to the post office! I guess I'll have to explain to everybody that it's one of the highlights of my week.
Right now:
People at the Internet cafe are telling me I'm beautiful, asking me if I'm married, etc. Oh, the people you meet!
Saturday night fun! The next time you want to complain about laundry, it could be worse...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved the laundry picture! One of my favorite children's story I read to all of you was "The Wild Washerwomen." I think you're getting closer to understanding!
love you,
a.m.