Saturday, October 20, 2007

Watermelon....My new favorite fruit

Hilarious story of the Week:
I had tutoring all week!!!! 30 HOURS!!! Anyway, I ate with my homologue, Echin. He is like my mentor, boss, and friend all rolled into one. He's a terrific person!!! I am blessed to have him as my homologue. (I didn't want to cook all week 3x a day for my tutor...is that bad?) So, I think this past Tuesday (seriously this week has been a big blur) after dinner, we go to the bakery and get eggs for breakfast. While walking there, I saw a dead goat. It was on the ground about to be put in the car. I tried really hard not to look at it, but I did. Imagine my surprise when it made this horrendous SAVE ME noise! I was so startled I SCREAMED!!! There were a bunch of people outside (you guessed it...making tea). They couldn't stop laughing. I honestly believe if someone caught the incident on tape, it would have won something on AFHV (America's Funniest Home Videos). I walk past the same people every day, buying bread and eggs, that I still get people mimicking my scream even 4 days later....I don't know if I'll ever live it down...

I am so glad that this week is over!!! My tutor came Monday night. (I thought she was coming on Tuesday) so of course, my house is a wreck (typically when I say a wreck, I mean it looks like a tornado, but it was only wreckess looking). She went to dinner so I scrambled to get the apartment looking decent. I was really nice at the beginning of the week, but my patience grew thin. Her English is okay, not great. What really annoyed me was when she would spell a word, and get e, i , and a mixed up!! My notes of so many scribbles in them. Sigh. The tutor that PC sent had no idea what she was getting into!! I definitely needed someone with more experience. One good thing that I took away from this is I really need to study French for an hour a day, and practice speaking more. So, there was so goodness out of this situation. (Did I mention she stayed in my house, ate all her meals with me...basically 24/7!!! If (IF) I get married, this guy is going to have to be one heck of a guy....too much of one person=Katie gets easily annoyed, impatience, and 20 other negative adjectives.

Okay, my title. I love watermelons. I think instead of using "rainy season" and "hot season", I'm going to use fruits. It is watermelon season and I am so happy because of this! There are piles of delicious watermelons! And, for about2 USD, what a deal! Watermelons were okay in the states. But here? ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Another thing I like about watermelons, it is definitely a group fruit. Really, how many people can eat a grape? To thank Echin for feeding me all week, I have bought 3 watermelons this past week. It makes me soooo happy that so many people can enjoy them. His house is kinda like our house at Christmas time. So many people and you can't really link everybody. Yesterday, I just sat at his house and smiled....12 people were enjoying the watermelon.

Tomorrow, I am going to live Brusse. Brusse is anywhere that doesn't have electricity, running water, toilets, etc. and is in the middle of no where. There is a program for artisans and I'm just tagging along. I don't know the name of the town, but my next post, I'll put it. I have such a schedule...Internet on Sundays, post office on Mondays (I LOVE MONDAYS!), tutoring on Wednesdays, Lunch with Echin on Fridays, etc. I hope that I will have more places to go and more things to do, I won't have such a rigorous (not the right word but can't think of the right word and I only have 10 more minutes), maybe self-imposed rigid? So, my next blog will be October 29....I know changing it up. My coPCV is getting online, so it will be good to catch up with her. I will definitely take pictures of this city girl living the Brusse life!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is so amazing to taste fresh fruit! Glad you are enjoying watermelon season!
Love,
a.m.
(American mom)