Sunday, October 7, 2007

Getting Settled In

I finally have all my furniture, which is nice because now I have no excuses not to get things put away.
My miscommunication story of the week (hopefully, this won't be a weekly thing as my French is "improving") I ordered some Bamboo shelves for my room, as well as another bed for the guest bedroom (WHAT?!? you say? I know...PC in the city!) I thought I said a bed for 2 people. When he delievered the shelves and the bed, I thought great! Then, they started pulling up another bed! What?!? Apparently, he thought I wanted 2 beds...Oops.
I had lunch with Laura. I think Wednesday? Anyway, she told me something intreresting she observed in village. This child was sick with a runny nose. His mother put her mouth over the kid's nose and sucked all the snot out! Then, she spit it out! I bet you can't say you see that every day!
On Thursday, I had a close call with death. It was bound to happen sooner or later. The paved roads here are small. And, there are no regulations (that I have noticed) with 18 wheelers. So, there are bikes, motos, cars, and 18 wheelers. 2 buses can't pass each other, so as you can imagine, somebody gets edged off the road. Just to give y'all a background. Anyway, I'm not good at turning left because I have to use my left hand (and because my left hand is way dominate, the bike becomes unsteady...) Back to the story. My apartment is on the left side when I return from work, so I raised my left hand to signal, "I'm turning!" There were a bunch of people outside (they work in the insurance building below me). A moto apparently didn't see my signal (or didn't care) and came honestly 3 inches from completely crashing into me!!! Everybody who was watching made a sound like they use to make when gymnasts didn't make it over the vault. I was suppose to shake my hand while turning. Hanging it out isn't good enough.
Okay, I only had time to post a few pictures. I am going to try a different cyber cafe next week because this one is sooo slow!!!!
The sign at my work

I wish I had an odometer on my bike (it's probably only a few miles, but after the African sun is beating down on me, it feels like a REALLY long ride...) Me after my bike ride to work (and yes, that is sweat dripping down my neck)

Banana trees! I sure would love some banana pudding about now


I finally got mail sent!! Hurray! It sure makes a difference when you have a post office in your town! So, if you mailed me a letter or box, check your mail boxes!! My hour is unfortunately over at the cyber cafe. Will write more next Sunday! Have a great week!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love reading your adventures! PLEASE be careful! We love you and look forward to your SAFE return!
a.m.
(American mom)

Anonymous said...

You be careful on that bike!!! I have mental pictures of things like that when you all were younger!! So glad you've got all your furniture and I love hearing the misuse of French stories!! Keep on keeping on--and you can leave off the mom-child sn-t stories!!! Heeeeeheeee.

Love you,
am friend
(american mom friend