Sunday, September 30, 2007

1st Week in Sikasso = A Good Week

Well, week one by myself in Sikasso is over. I see so many women, or perhaps I should write girls, with children on their back. I know our cultures are so different, but I love having the option of having kids or a career, or both. I'm not stuck in one category. I have options.
I have 2 funny stories. I hit something on this crazy keyboard, and i don't know how to undo it, so it's going to be in italics.
I wanted to buy a comfortable chair. I went to a shop, actually they were selling furniture on the side of the road, but that's how they do it in Mali. I pointed to the chair, and in the best French I could muster, I asked how much is this? He said, 250,000 CFA, which is like 500 USD. I told him to reduce his price. I got it down to 200,000 CFA. He finally asked me how much I was willing to pay and I wrote down 40,000 CFA. I told him he was crazy asking for 200,000, and he thinks I am crazy. But, I not crazy and I'm not paying that price. I think my voice was raised... I went back later with my new friend. Her name is Mama. She is a nurse and lives behind me. She went back with me, and apparently, the 200,000 CFA was for the whole set: 1 couch, 1 love seat, and 2 chairs. Oops.
The next funny story was not funny at the time, but I can look back and laugh. Mama went to the market with me to buy a gas tank. Malians use charcol and fan to get a fire; I'm choosing the option to turn on the gas. I am scared of lighting matches, so I'm sure I'll have another story next week relating to that. Anyway, we went back home with the gas tank. The cab driver was going to carry it in. I unfortunately couldn't find the key to the side door. I dumped the contents of my purse. I couldn't find it anywhere. Mama took her moto and retraced my steps. My choices were to: 1. climb the tree because I have the key to the front door, not the side 2. sleep outside 3. call the other volunteer and ask for her advice. So, I ended up calling Trinh and she said she had emergency voulchers for a local hotel. But, I just spent all my money on a gas tank, so I won't have money to get there. Sigh. I was on the verge of tears, when I decided to lift up my shirt a little...my key was tucked into my skirt. Everybody who saw my face laughed and laughed. I'm glad I found it.
Anyway, my first week was a good week. I am hoping to take pictures of my work and home and post them next week.

No comments: