Friday, September 7, 2007

Oh Mali!

I noticed my last several blogs relate to my health. Yesterday, I got sick (but I really think it was carsickness, which still isn't fun but it sure isn't an infection.) I'm feeling pretty good today. I got my roommate sick last week. I only spent one night in the health place, and I should have stayed more. I feel so bad for her because she has fever blisters in her nose! Yeah, I didn't know it was possible either!! I was trying to cheer her up and said well thank goodness their not on your butt. She made a really good point. I use my nose more than my butt. Oh well for cheerful thoughts.
I haven't journaled in a while (over a week because I was sick), so I really can't remember anything. We did take some pretty cool field trips. We took a field trip to some water falls. It was gorgeous! I really wanted to go swimming because it would have been so refreshing but I didn't want to get some kind of animal that can get in you via water (?) You can tell I'm so interested in biology...(jk)
We took another field trip to a microfinance institution. It was really interesting. I don't think they were fulfilling their mission statement and all the goals, but they were doing a good job. We also went to 2 boutiques. My brother owns a boutique, and we were planning on interviewing him, but he's sick. I really take our health care system for grant in the States. But, I take paved roads for grant. And hot water. And ovens. And like 500 other things you just don't think about until you are completely out of your element. Anyway, sorry about the tangent. My brother, Hapib, may have malaria. How much would that stink? We went to another boutique and the woman didn't really seemed interested. At the other shop, we would ask the questions in French, but it was so bad that our professor had to translate our French to French. A little annoying.
One last thing. Last night, Jigiya came to dance. Jigiya is an organization made up of disabled individuals. They truly get no support here. Jigiya connected with an organization in NY, and they send money (a very small amount) monthly and they opened an account and are able to give out grants. It's quite impressive how far they strength the money. It was extremely emotional for me. Just looking around, watching them dance their hearts out and sing...Such passion!!!! If everybody could live their lives with an ounce of their passion....
I haven't really thought deeply since coming to Mali until yesterday. I have been constantly overwhelmed with new faces, languages, and cultures. But, I really got thinking yesterday. Their is so much I want to do in Mali!!! I really want to start a program for adult literacy (both men and women), maybe get a library going, and I want to talk to high schoolers about HIV/AIDS and safe sex. And, after last night, I want to work with disabled individuals. And, let's not forget my job of working with ecotourism. SO much to do!!! I was overwhelmed last night (not a new feeling). How can I prioritize when they are all so important? And jeez, I'm just an Auburn girl from SC. Then I thought of this quote:

"Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can."
John Wesley

It might seem crazy that sometimes I think in quotes...I don't know. I've always enjoyed quotes that capture my feelings or thoughts. Anyway, it was good for my spirit and I feel energized and refreshed. If I could only get French under my belt...then Bamara...always something, isn't it?
I know I'm a simple person with a simple blog but it was good to get this off my chest.
I added Brooke's blog. His blog is terrific, and he has more information about Jigiya.
I'm going back to homestay tomorrow. It's my last week. I love my family and will miss them, but am excited about spreading my wings in Sikasso region.

No comments: