Saturday, February 16, 2008

And Time Keeps on Moving...

I should have brought my journal while typing up this blog! I started writing again, but I left it at home.
On Monday, Jack, Trinh, and I made salmon cakes along with potatoes and carrots. It’s great being “Sikasso Kaw” (Bambara for people that live in Sikasso)! It’s having a community within PC. So, Sikasso Kaws stick together and RPCV Sikasso Kaws mailed us a box full of goodies! So, it was packaged salmon (thanks RPCV Sikasso Kaw!) and we made salmon cakes. Delicious!
On Tuesday, I went to Trinh’s training. She began it a few weeks ago, encouraging creativity and product differentiation. From my view point, schools here encourage memorization and not creative thinking, and it is obvious to me that creative thinking is not nurtured when children are in school. Malians are really good copying styles and patterns, but to say, make a sac (purse), you will get blank looks.


Their work

Again, this is a broad generalization, but I would imagine that a lot of people would agree with me. Even with foodstuff, people lack differsivication. When coming back from Segou a few weeks ago, we stopped at this one place and EVERYBODY was selling “ghato” (cake/muffins).
Sporting a sac
I went a few weeks ago to look at their products that they were going to take to the Segou Music Festival. It was fun returning and seeing just how far these women have progressed! I also got to hang out with the other Katy from Sikasso region, so that was fun catching up.
Wednesday was the closing ceremony of the formation. They had snacks, drinks, and certificates. It was fun. When the VIPs left, they discussed goals for the next 3 months. Again, a new concept to most. I also RSVPed to my brother’s finaces’ wedding shower. I unfortantely cannot make it (hmmm…) Nobody can say that my mama didn’t raise me right!!
Valentine’s Day was just another day I happily ate my box of chocolates. My cell phone company had a promotion, but it wasn’t nearly as huge as it was in December for Tabaski! I received one “happy vday” text from my friend Lindsay, so that was a pleasant surprise.
Yesterday, Trinh came over for moral support cleaning. My apartment is out of control! But, there is always a room ready for guests. My room, on the other hand, has to have the door shut when people come over. Clothes and books are my doing, but I live beside the busiest road in Sikasso, and beside the road is dirt. When 18 wheelers come zooming past, they stir up all the dirt to my place. You may think I’m exaggerating, but I’m really not!! I still love where I live, regardless of previous problems (i.e. water). I feel so safe in an apartment. I don’t think I could have that sense of security if I lived in a house. Anyway, Trinh was amazing support, and she ended up cooking dinner while I slaved away in my room. I feel like I made a dent. That’s progress right? You may be wondering, how could I accumulate so much stuff, but it is possible.
That’s my week in a nut shell…
Next week….MY BIRTHDAY! I am going to buy lamb meat for my work to enjoy, and then I am buying 5 chickens and green beans. I totally invited myself to my homologues’ house. The family is wonderful, and I feel connected to them. I will still never not be a guest, but I’ve downgraded from VIP status. I don’t think they will ever let me clear my own plate or sit on the floor. Maybe next year. I am buying the food because that’s really the least I can do. They will kill, pluck, and cook the chickens and cook the green beans. So many times, the guest get chicken and pasta, but everybody else is eating rice, so for my birthday, we are all going to enjoy the same “guest” food. Everybody is going to have fun on Lala’s Maiga’s birthday!


At the celebration!

2 Thumbs up for all their hard work

Oh, I apologize to anonymous, will address your question next week. Would love to be on a first name basis!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a Happy 23rd birthday Feb. 21!
love,
a.m.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your insight. Is seems as though there is not just one reason. which is a good thing. Again, i love your blog.