Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Past 2 Weeks and Random Tidbits

I have done a bad job journaling these past two weeks, so I can only remember bits and pieces.

On Friday, February 1, 2008, my water got turned back on! I spoke to my landlord, gave him money for my "part" and he dealt with it. When I got back home, the business with the bill told me I owed more money. I asked to see the bill and the calculations, and surprise, they miscalculated. I really need a water counter because without it, I will always feel like I'm getting ripped off.

The week of the 28th to February 1st, was my first real work week. A British writer frocame and is wanting to update the Mali tourist book. I hope is is able to come back in March so we can set up an agenda for her. This could be huge for Sikasso tourism. My coworkers and I also began working on signs for the tourist sites around Sikasso. This is a bigger project than I would have imagined, but it's good.

February 2nd to 8th, a PC tutor came to help me with French. This time went so much better than the first time around! I actually feel like I've improved, where as before, I actually thought my French got worse (if even possible!). Now, I have to keep the momentum going and continue to study every day.

RANDOM TIDBITS:
Mali, like many other countries, considers the left hand unclean because they use the left hand and water to clean themselves wehn they are done using the bathroom. WhenI was told this in the States, I was grossed out. But now? It's actually quite practical. I get the eww feeling when not everybody uses soap afterwards, but that's another story. Anyway, I observed a 4 year old being wiped and asked what age does the child start taking card of his/her business? I was told inattentive parents let their childern do it when they are young, but other wipe their childern until they are 9 or 10. At school for young childern (4, 5, 6 year olds), there are women that assist them and then teach them to wash their hands. This is so different from how I was raised. I remember my Mom teaching a Sunday school class and a 5 year old asked her to wip her and my mom said if you are old enough for big girl panties, you are old enough to wipe yourself.

Engagement rings: I've changed my mind about engagement rings so many times. But, I have come to the conclusion that engagement rings and wedding rings are a great idea. I have been asked countless times in Mali, are you married? Do you want to marry me? Why don't you want to marry me...etc. etc. In the states, words are unnessasary! You just have to look at a woman's left hand to see if she's available!!! (which probably wouldn't work that well here, when you can legally have up to 4 wives). But, this was my breakthrough of the week. I think engagement rings are genius and so are wedding bands.

That's all for now. I don't have time to spell check so please overlook the mistakes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you think that you get so many marriage proposals because you are american and there may be a chance that you will bring them to the usa? what do you think the constant proposals are about?

thanks

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous,
My daughter is a wonderful, multi-talented young lady--that's what the proposals are about!
her american mom

Anonymous said...

No doubt that your daughter is amazing, i really enjoy her blog, i just know that it is a phenomenon that every american or european woman who goes to west africa gets many marriage proposals, so i was just curious what your daughter thinks the reason for that is.

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Katie! :)

See you in under 2 months!!!

Katie G

ps- who is this anonymous?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Miss Katie!! Can't believe you are 23 years old!!! Soo wish you were going to be at the shower Saturday but we will miss you still!! Have a very happy one and enjoy chicken and green beans.

Love,
Libby

Anonymous said...

Dear anonymous, its cute that you can voice your opinion without wanting to reveal your real identity...interesting.

Katie, good reading your blog. See you soon!

Jamie -- Katie's older brother