Saturday, March 15, 2008

0 Letter Week

My title basically sums up my entire week.

Just when I thought my French was getting better, my homologue and I had several miscommunications this past week. Sigh. Two steps forward, three steps back.

Instead of spending a week in village, I came back to Sikasso. My friend Laura invited me to her village, so I ended up biking to her village. It was a beautiful bike ride, and I was quite proud that I was able to do it (I'm not in the best shape of my life.) I helped her with baby weighings. Most of the babies were healthy, but a few were in the red zone (malnourished). I did see the absolute cutest little girl that had a baby doll strapped to her back!! That is how Malian women carry their babies, so it's just like in the States when little girls push baby strollers with baby dolls in it. Laura and I also tested out her solar oven, and I am quite impressed. I think that is on my list of things to bring back. We made cornbread which was absolutely fantastic.

My tutor and I tend to discuss marriages and relationships a lot, which is good because so much is taboo, so it's nice that I can get answers. I don't know how we got on the topic, but we talked about punishing children and punishing a wife. I explained that husband and wife are equals, and if I am ever hit by my husband, I'm getting a divorce. He couldn't believe it. He informed me that I shouldn't ever marry a Malian. I am NOT saying that every Malian beats his wife, because that is completely untrue. It's just so different culturally. From what I understood, beating your wife is bad, but laws are not really enforced, and besides your neighbor would mind their own business. He was appalled that after one time I would call it quits. It seems pretty self explanatory to me.

I am getting excited about my vacation to America in a few weeks!!! I am already preparing mentally for how hard it is going to be coming back. It's going to be tough....

Oh, such a stupid thing! Last week, when I thought everybody were using their cell phones, it turns out, I ran out of credit. Duh!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I promise that there were 3 cards in the mail to you last week. Maybe they will start arriving. Not only would you get a divorce, I would expect you NEVER to marry into that situation!
Love you!
a.m.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I agree with your Mom, but if it ever happened you can be certain that your aunt would make sure the creep went to jail! I am so looking forward to seeing you in April. :) Love, Donna