Saturday, March 22, 2008

Another Week in Mali

Another Week in Mali

This past week, I finished picking up all my presents from the tailor. I told him to let me know the total. He gave me a number that I knew was not right. So, I redid the math and he was going to charge me 14 mille more!!! Everyday I am becoming more excited about coming home!!

Work was okay this past week. A coworker was a little rude yesterday and would never talk to me like that in front of my homologue, but what can you do? Also, it’s quite an adjustment getting use to the slower pace here in Mali.

On Thursday, it was Muhammad’s birthday, so we didn’t have to go to work. We get Monday off for Easter and next Wednesday off for a previous presidents birthday.

I abhor powdered milk, but my body really misses milk. So, a great milk source is degay (spelling phonetically). It is milk and sugar with flour grain in it. I like it best frozen, but it’s delicious cold too. When I first got here, I didn’t like it, but the longer I am here, the more things I am acquiring a taste for. Two weeks ago, I started really consuming a lot of degay. Before that, my only source of calcium was the ice cream I ate in Bamako (and maybe the cheese on the pizza!) Anyway, I learned how to make degay this morning, so I am going to try to make it when I’m home. (My homologues wife is going to do the prep work for the flour grain.) Is it even possible to buy flour grain in the States? It’s something I’ve never looked for at the grocery store.

Easter is tomorrow, and I am going to church. The sermon will be in Bambara, but I already know the topic! J Then, I am planning on spending the day at the pool. It’s expensive, but I can go to the pool a few times during this hot season.
I am going to try to start exercising again. I stopped because it was really hot (not complaining, just stating facts.) My homologues’ wife, tells me how “grosse” (large) I am (here, it’s a compliment…I have enough food), and that people in the States will tell me too. But, it doesn’t help that every time I go to their house to buy degay (I’m their best customer….no really), she forces me to eat. She tells me I am not nice if I refuse, so I need be nice! Anyway, I am going to start running again (that’s the plan anyway).

This week, I am going to a shea butter formation here in Sikasso. I am excited about learning more about shea. And, in two weeks, if all works out, I will be spending 5 or so days in Waroni. Then, that weekend, I will be cleaning and packing! And, on Sunday, April 6 (I think), I will be on the way to the Bamako Airport!!! I have a layover in New York, and I think I am more scared of New York than actually coming to Africa!

Right now, it is raining. It’s the first hard rain since November!! It’s marvelous except all my windows are open at my house…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So excited you are coming home soon!
Love,
a.m.