Sunday, June 15, 2008

Accomplishments

The architect and the recruiter


I truly lack artistic ability (minus the one semester in Mrs. West’s art class…but I still got a C). Sikasso doesn’t have a tourism map, so I recruited my friend Mary to draw one. So, this past week, she came to Sikasso. She is so talented! While I didn’t draw a thing, I feel like I accomplished something because of my amazing recruitment abilities. It looks exactly how I would want it to look like.

Check out that fine looking map!

Seydou (APCD for SED, which is my sector) called me on Monday. I got him to talk to my landlord about putting in a separate water counter for me. June 20th is the date, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Happy Birthday Calita!

On Wednesday, Sikasso Kaw (plus Mary) celebrated Calita’s birthday! She went to India a few weeks ago, and brought back spices! It was sooo good! Chicken, curry vegetables, and pitas. With chocolate cake and frosting! The power did go out, but it was back within an hour.

Trinh and me at the bday celebration

Adam (the volunteer I replaced) is leaving Mali in a few weeks, so he came down to Sikasso to say goodbye. We had a heart to heart chat. He gave me some great advice, and I am realizing the necessity of goals.

I may go to a party next weekend. I just don’t know. There is also a concert in Bamako that I am going to try to go to, but I guess I’ll have to wait and see. But, in a few weeks, I will be going to Bamako for my mid service health exam. I spend so much money in Bamako, I’m going to have to limit myself to one pizza and one trip to the patisserie (for ice cream of course!).

These men walk miles and miles. A tough job

Why use your hands when you have a head?

My tutor Makan


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great pictures! We love seeing what you are living.
Great job on the map! Good luck with goal setting.
love,
a.m.
("American mom")