Sunday, June 8, 2008

Uneventful Week

Here are a few highlights.

People warn you again and again about the gossip in PC. But, I found out this past week it’s true. I was really angry but I have to let it go. I just thought my closest friends wouldn’t talk about me. False. But, I now know who I can trust. I have so many wonderful friends in Ameriki that are so amazing and trustworthy. But, those relationships took years to build, not 11 months. Anyway, I have to be more careful.

I went to an environmental meeting this past week. I was definitely slumping in my chair when they showed the graph of countries producing hazardous gases. America was in the lead at 30%. Africa came rolling in at 2%.

Which brings me to my next point. Gas here is 570 CFA per LITER. If I remember correctly, there are 3.78 liters in a gallon. You can do the conversion at www.xof.com . But, what’s even more critical than gas (Yes, there is something more important) is food prices are going up. I am even noticing it.

We had Mexican Night at Trinh’s house. It was fabulous!! And, next week, Calita is celebrating her birthday with Indian Night! (She just got back from India, so she brought spices back).

Tomorrow, Mary (another PCV) is coming to help me with the tourist map. She has an architectural background, so I know that it will look really professional when we are done with it.

On Saturday night, Linds and I hung out downtown. We had cokes, went shopping for fabric, and ended up eating at a Tubab restraurant downtown. It was lovely! Linds is really nice (I am not) and she let some guy show her all of the things he was selling. After he said that a pillowcase was 30,000 CFA (absolutely ludicrous!) I blessed him, and said goodbye. Unfortunately, he would not leave, so I got up (Linds followed) to another table.

Oh, Linds

I believe I decided I am not going to the 4th of July. Instead, I am planning on going to a party in a few weeks and attend a concert in Bamako. I am also hoping I can get in on the group that is going to Ghana in August! But, the newbies are coming (What?!) to look at their sites in August, so I want to be here for that. I just still can’t believe next month with be my year mark in MALI!! And, the Belushi’s (group that came July 06) are leaving in the next few months. Some days feel sooo long, but then you look at a calendar and think, wait a minute! It’s June?!

I got Em beads for her bday!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Still waiting for an explanation of your "beads."
I'm turning 55 soon--you think I need some for my birthday?
Love,
a.m.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
Been reading your blog and just wanted to interject--there are VERY few people in this life you can truly trust and we all need to treasure those friendships!! Hang in there. Sounds like you have some fun adventures coming up so looking forward to reading about them.

Love you,
Libby

Anonymous said...

dON'T Know if you'll read this, but i sent a letter! i got yours at work, and it made my day!!! it took a full month to get here. 13 days til lift off to CA!!!

--amy J