Thursday, June 26, 2008

11 months!!!

Another picture from Amandas birthday
So, last week, we passed our 11 month mark! Crazy huh?!? And what’s even crazier is that the new kids are coming in like 2 weeks!!
I really have nothing to report this week, so I’ll share a story and my present.
I eat breakfast at Fatimata’s every day (except the weekends). I’m a regular. She’s really sweet, and speaks Bambara, but if I look really confused (and I often do), she explains it to me in French. Today I sat down beside a 7 year old or so (I thought I was bad at guess ages in Ameriki…I’m even worse in Mali!), and she had a baby doll strapped to her back. Or so I thought. I took another look and it was a brand spanking new baby! Couldn’t have been more than a month old. I am often concerned about the lack of support of newborns necks here.
My friend, Julia, came to my work today. (She works at the hospital and wanted an American name, so I tried to use most of her letters and came up with Julia). She got back from China, and brought me back a bracelet. It was so sweet! The only problem is she is really thin. I’m not. She forced the bracelet on me…I don’t think it’s coming off until either I lose some weight, or I gain more weight and have to go to the hospital and get it removed.
The 4th of July is next week! Last year, I sat by the lake with my family and ate my heart out! (bbq ribs, potato salad…that’s all that I can remember). I still don’t know what I am doing this year. I’ll probably go where the big group is going. Afterwards, I am going to Bamako for my midservice medical exam. I’m a little nervous about going to the dentist because we are not in Ameriki anymore! But, I am excited about free internet and pizza!
Morning hair

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the hairdo pics--you could be twins!
Congrats on the 11month mark! I promise you won't believe how fast the time flies!
love,
a.m.
american mom

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th! (a few days early). The dentist is never much fun, but good luck! I can't believe you're half way through your time!