Monday, July 7, 2008

I don't do rats, I don't do bats

Last Wednesday evening, I was packing for my upcoming trip to Manitali. I am excited, but also a bit anxious because I like to leave my house clean when I leave (thanks Mom). Well, I see in the corner of my eye a black, flog like thing and completely FREAK OUT! I can't remember the last time I screamed so loud. I told Linds she better come and deal with this "thing". After she moved the furniture, and it showed it's ugly face again, I realized it was a BAT! Linds went down stairs to get help. I have amazing neighbors and they were already at the back door! They came in a delt with it. I <3>

The next day, Linds and I went to Bamako together. We left earlier than the other group, but got in later.






We went out to eat at an amazing burger place! Cheeseburgers are delicious! The next day, we went to the bus station at 7 am. Our bus was suppose to leave at 9 am but we didn't roll out until 10:30 am. It ended up breaking down 2 K away from Kita, so we walked. From Kita, we waited, oh, 4 hours to get on a van. Sigh. But, we did get there! It made my heart smile when a boy was riding a bike with a trunk on the back of it (from what I understood, it was for a sick woman and her child) , and our driver let him put his bike on top of the car and ride with us. Nighttime was quickly approaching, and he still had a good 15 K in front of him.

When I saw Manitali in the day light, it was absolutely beautiful! I did see some monkeys, but unfortunately, the hippos weren't around when I was. The 4th of July was a lot of fun! Most of the people in the region didn't host, so it was a bit confusing. Nobody was really in charge. On the way back, there were 18 volunteers in the basche. We had to walk up the hill so the basche could make it. It was at an inclince...I kept on thanking God that I didn't have a backpack on my back!

I am in Bamako for my midservice health exam. Lots of people were talking trash about the dentist, but he said "Your teeth are very good." So, I didn't have any problems.

I went to the Ghana Embassy today. It's official! I'm going to Ghana! I am going with Becky and Anna. They are so sweet! I know we are going to have a blast!

I will try to add some pictures tomorrow. The video application is ridiculously slow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the videos. The screams were absolutely the best part.

Unknown said...

Wasn't the last time you screamed that loud when you had the rat (or something) under your couch and a foreign (?German) writer was there?
Mosquitos and cockroaches look pretty tame here.
love,
mom