Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Cannon's Trip to Mali

My family made it back safely to the States yesterday. While at times I was extremely overwhelmed, I think that everybody had a lovely time with no regrets (okay, maybe a few) about coming.

It's going to be really difficult for me to sum up everything we did in a few weeks, so here is a brief summary.

After Bamako, we went to Segou. We went to a place where they dye the bogolan (mud cloth). After the demonstration, we each made our own bogolan squares. We had a lovely Italian dinner and saw the sun set over the Niger River.

From Segou, we went to Severe. I saw some other PCVs with their families. We spend the night in Severe, and then the next day explored Mopti. We took a boat ride to a nearby village and ate by the river.


After our day in Mopti, we spend another night in Severe. The next day, we headed out in the morning for Dogon Country. After lunch, we hung out for a few hours and then continued to Dogon. We had a small evening hike, and then stayed at a very nice campament. It was a little area made for tourists. It even had toilets!! Our tour guide pawned us off on his brother. He has a lot to learn from his brother! Dinner was nice. Will and I slept outside. The next morning, we went shopping. We had lunch with Rachel and her family, and then began hiking. Our guide was fantastic! Everybody made it out of Dogon country alive!

After our hike, we spent the night in Mopti. The next day, we left for Sikasso. We got in at 11:30 pm. Will stayed with me and my parents stayed in the hotel.

On Christmas Eve, my family picked up the tab for meatloaf. And, my mom made her infamous banana pudding:) We went to church on Christmas. My family wasn't so impressed with the 2 1/2 hour service in Bambara. It was the first time I saw my mom fall asleep in church! We had lunch at Echin's house. Green beans, chicken, bananas. It was delicious! Then it was nap time. After naps, we opened presents. Thanks to everybody who contributed! Later that evening, we hung out with other volunteers.

The next few days blur together. We were able to see the touristic "sites" of Sikasso in a private car. Also, my dad got real sick. My mom diagnosed him with malaria. We got medicine for him, and the next day he was able to get on a bus for Bamako.

In Bamako, my mom and I were in a cab that got rear ended. Then some time later, the cab broke down. Oh, Mali.

My last supper was shared at a delicious Chinese restaurant. I over-ordered, but you would too if your parents were picking up the bill!

I asked my family to write their experiences of Mali. I hope to post that within the week so you can get a different perspective.

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S! 2009

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

katie
its sounds like you and your family had a great time. i hope you are getting some much needed rest after hosting. im so proud of you. love tt

ps. the lsat was better but not great. im going to be weak in the numbers part but i feel the rest of my app is strong...im sending apps this week. its up to the winds now : )

Unknown said...

Hi Katie,

It has been quite some time since I last visited your site. It sounds as if things are progressing nicely; I'm
sure you have really learned a lot since leaving Auburn. That's wonderful having your family over. I sure hope your dad is better. Take care and continued success in Mali!

jr feild