Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving in Sikasso

I hope I am speaking for all when I say all the volunteers that came to Sikasso for Thanksgiving had a lovely time.

Volunteers started arriving on Wednesday. That morning, Lindsay and I went shopping. We bought 30 K of potatoes, 8 dollars of green beans, and 2 jays. We hired a cart to take it to the Malians’ house who was cooking for us (yes, we outsourced it…what a good call.) That afternoon, I went over to Diane’s to help bake pies. We all went out to eat. It took some volunteers 2 hours to get their food. And, unlike Ameriki, they didn’t get it for free, no matter how hard they argued. Some people went dancing later, but I was exhausted.
Anna, Katy, me, and Laura after pie baking



Thursday was Thanksgiving! I went over to Diane’s and played hearts. I also was the bartender for an hour, and Lindsay and I picked up the green beans, jay (Malian pumpkin), and potatoes. I have a great taxi driver’s number in my phone, and he happily chauffeured us around. I feel that most cab drivers in Sikasso are unfair and rude, so I am delighted that I got Yacuba, and then got his business card. We had 4 turkeys, 12 pies (apple and pumpkin/jay), dressing, green beans, gravy, and I can’t really remember what else. It was quite a feast.

Laura, me, Lindsay, Anna: Sikasso Kaw on Thanksgiving

Friday was Mexican Night. I cleaned, and then went shopping with Laura. We bought 5 Kilos of meat, 20 avocados, 4 Kilos of tomatoes, 2 ½ K of onions, peppers, flour, etc. We then called Yacuba to take all the ingredients to my place. People started coming over about 2:30, and we hung out. Everything was going great, until the power went out. TIA. It was out for about 45 minutes in the whole city. I managed to find my headlamp and gave it to Lindsay D. (she is such a great cook and I am so appreciative that she took control of the kitchen). I also managed to use a few candles. I think some volunteers thought I was ridiculous, but I think I should have posted my rules. I have 2 rules. Take your shoes off before entering my house and shut the door! I believe I said “Shut the door” about 20 times. All these brusse volunteers don’t have doors that shut, but I do and I am antimosiqutos/flies and you have to keep the door shut to keep them out. It wouldn’t surprise me if people were talking about me and my “friendly” (or maybe not so friendly) reminder to shut the door.
We all hung out on the roof. I invited Echin, and was delighted that he came. Everybody was impressed because he actually ate the food. Most Malians don’t like what we cook. It’s just too weird. If it’s not drenched in oil, they don’t know what to think. Echin has traveled, and eats different types of food.

On Saturday, I returned bottles with Laura. I then took 2 naps. Hosting wears me out!

I think it’s fair to say that Thanksgiving and Mexican Night 08 was a success!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, please rest up because you'll be hosting your American family soon! Can't wait to see you!
Love,
American mom