Saturday, December 6, 2008

To Village and back

Yesterday, I went to Adele’s village. I feel like an old woman because my knees are killing me! So many hills! I entered her village and saw all these men. I thought I walked in on a town meeting, but it was a funeral. A guy was stabbed by his half older brother. He suffered a week before he finally past. The accused is crazy. No, really. He hears voices. Anyway, the accused returned to village last night. His sister took him in. What a tragedy.
I was extremely Malian, and made a great first impression with Adele’s village because I brought kola nuts to the chief. Kola nuts are symbolic of respect. I think they taste gross, but I hear that there is a caffeinated affect if you chew on them long enough. This morning, the chief sent over like 5 lbs of oranges! I had to give some to Adele because I don’t think my legs could handle an additional five pounds on my bike!
I had a great time at her site! She’s a great cook! I couldn’t believe how cold it got at night! So glad I brought my sleeping bag!! Her hut was basically built in a field. Last night, when I was bathing (outside of course), the cows were basically like 3 feet from me! There was a wall, but it was just so funny to me. Here I am, freezing, being culturally appropriate (they would have talked about me if I didn’t bathe), watching the sunset, and the cows were right next to me, just mooing away. TIA.
Peace Corps Mali was also informed of another tragedy this past week. A Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV) was in an accident that took her life in Mopti region. She was an RPCV, but never actually returned to America because she began working with a NGO here. I met her when I went to Gao last year. Cristina was so energetic, helpful, and kind. Please remember her family and friends during this mourning time.
I forgot to mention last week that there was a bug in my room that looked like a stick on earring! It was incredible! I’m always glad when people are at my house when these “I wish I had someone to show this to” instances occur. I made Lindsay look at it. What are friends for?
Also 2 weeks ago, I had a meeting with the director of transportation. It’s amazing how much more vocal I am when meetings are done in English! (He studied in Michigan.) I didn’t change anything, and I actually understand where he is coming from. We talked for about 2 hours (Lindsay let me do the talking. We decided to bring a nice person/Lindsay and an aggressive person/me). The funniest part was when he said something and I said, “I disagree.” He then replied, “Well, I agree with myself.” I couldn’t resist and said, “Well, I agree with myself.”
I sent out holiday letters last week. I think there might be an error (or two), but I was trying to get them to the post office Thursday afternoon, but I ended up going to late. Also, I think some parts of the letter are lame. Lesson to self: don’t rush the letter! There is a fete next week, so I wanted to get them off because I think we don’t work Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.
Need to go to the internet café now, but my project got posted! J Go to www.peacecorps.gov, “Donate Now” “Donate to Volunteer Projects”. Check it out! There are so many worthwhile causes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so excited I will be seeing you a week from today! Bring on the aching legs!
love,
mom

Anonymous said...

I wish you were around so that we could have a good argument about something unimportant. "Thank you for your honesty." --Jamie