Sunday, April 5, 2009

Project=Success

Well, I think it is safe to say that the faucet project was a success. We had our final meeting today. I was informed that people from other villages are using the faucet. Yea!

My week was uneventful. My friend, Laura, got back from Ameriki safely. Unfortunately, her bag got lost. But the next day, she got it back. However, her Easter candy was stolen. But, at least she got her bag back (which is more than my mom can say).

I had a lovely dinner on Thursday with my Chinese friends. They are excellent cooks and ping pong players! Julia (I gave them American names) is super hard core when it comes to ping pong. She put on her tennis shoes to play!

I discovered Skype last week. It is going to change my last 5 months of service. I <3 Skype!

Who needs a pedicure? This PCV does!


Chaka beat me in 151 today...we'll play again tomorrow

2 men at our final meeting (nothing like the 50 women who came to the 1st meeting)


2 other committee members
3 day old puppies!
So little!

Makan's daughter bringing water home from the new faucet
Garaboos


Children bringing clean water home




Transporting water via bike

It was interesting to me that during my trips to the faucet, I have rarely seen women getting water. I've seen kids on bikes, men on motos, children with water on their head, and boys with donkey carts. But, you would only see women and children gathering water at the wells. It makes me happy that carrying water on motos and bikes is manly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! I just teared up looking at those pics!
Love,
Mah Coulibally

Anonymous said...

Katie, those pictures are amazing! And you look great!
~Annie