Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Leaving for Site! (Tomorrow)

Life is great! I got my Harry Potter book this morning! It was basically Christmas in August. I'm stoked! (Oh, I'm told that if you send a letter or package to Mali, write West Africa beside it. Apparently, some Americans don't know where Mali is...[I was one of those people])
Other great things: I got tootsie rolls and lifesavers. I spoke with my brothers yesterday (it was really funny b/c it took like 10 seconds for them to realize that I was calling from Africa. As soon as they realized it...KATIE?!?) I have a cell phone (and will get service at my site). I ate a margarita pizza yesterday (IT WAS SUPERB!!!) I went shopping yesterday at a store. It sold tvs, toaster ovens, eggs, candy, shampoo, etc. etc. I got envelopes so I can write letters now. I have been so busy, but all the letters I received means so much to me. I love rereading them, so I definitely want to write back. These blogs are only a glimpse into my life in Africa. I sometimes think to myself, my life could be a movie. Anyway, life is great.

For lunch yesterday, we had my favorite Malian meal. It is this red rice with meat in it. I love the red rice. Only 3 of us at out of the same bowl. I put a huge dent in it. Also yesterday, SED (Small Enterprise Development) went to Bamako. (Emily should be posting acronyms on her blog. I should have Internet where I'm going; I don't think she has electricity, so I may post acronyms on my blog too. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a great idea.) It was so much fun! We went shopping and ate at a nice little restaurant.
We met our homologue's last night. Mine is super nice. He says I'm going to have to change my last name when I get to my site. They are so funny about last names. In Mali, they have joking cousins. I was trying to find a link about the history of joking cousins, but I can't find one that does it justice. Michigan Tech University does a lot of work in Mali, so maybe (if your interested) in searching joking cousins Mali within the Michigan Tech site.

Tomorrow, I will be taking a six hour bus ride to Sikasso region with my homologue. I have to go back to Tambinso by myself. I am a little concerned because the lack of my language abilities (right now). I still remain optimistic. I hope it doesn't change after I go to site visit.

1 comment:

debbye said...

Hi Katie, my name is Debbye Crosby and I just read one of your daily entries and I saw a pic that looked like my son. I enlarged it and sure enough there was Westin. I can't telll you how exciting that was to see him and all the othe r volunteers. Please tell him I came across your blog and am just ecstatic. I am waiting on him to create one for us here in the states. Have a great day.