Monday, August 27, 2007

Site Visit!

I am sitting at the computer and I have sooo much to write! I wish I would have brought my journal...I hope I don't leave out anything!

Wednesday: August 22

We were suppose to leave Tabinso (PC camp)at 8 am. I was running around (as usual) that morning. I got sick (for all you curious folks out there...vomiting) the night before, so I didn't finish packing. Because we are on WAIT, we didn't LEAVE until 3 pm. We didn't get on the bus until 6 pm! The bus was crowded and hot. Oh, 2 people with big guns came in. I asked my homologue because it's a little scary. One's at the back of the bus, and one is at the front of the bus. My homologue said "for security." My homologue is smart and got us seats in the middle of the bus because there was an opening at the roof that lets air in. My homologue also bought all the PCT fans. So useful! We got to my homologue's house at 12:15 am. His daughter made us dinner! I had the most amazing green beans, almost as good as Grandmas. We also had fish and potatoes. At 12:30ish, he drove me to my house. Adam, the volunteer I'm replacing, was there. I'm basically taking over his apartment and job. We talked until about 2 am. He was so informative!!!

Thursday: August 23

Adam and I went to the bank at 7:50 am. The bank opens at 8 am and apparently, it can be an all day affair. So, they opened the gates and people run in the bank! (They don't have atms.) They have a number system. It started with 761. I got number 772. So, I waited an hour, and Adam and I went up. (It's basically amazing having a personal tour guide that speaks French and some Bambara). I needed to open a bank account; we should have gone in the back to wait. No number needed. TIA. So, I ended up spending 3 hours in the bank to open an account. I went out for lunch at the restaurant that serves 4 rices. They alternate 3 of them with different sauces for 300 CFA. I got zambina sp?. It's red rice and delicious!! The spices are baked in the dish. Adam then took me to work. I met everybody. I'm excited that I am finishing a project that 2 other PCVs worked on. I told Adam I wouldn't drop the ball. The construction will continue in January. I'm relieved because I get to concentrate on learning French. (People are in the fields until January). We went back home and I read HP and took a nap. We had dinner at Trin's house. She is the other PCV in my town. We had delicious chili! I do miss the oven...

Friday: August 24

I forgot that it was Friday (Muslim Sabbath), and everything closes Friday afternoon, so we got a late start. We went furniture shopping. I picked out what I liked, and he bartered for me. I hope that I will be somebodies hero next year when a new PCT comes. Anyway, I decided to get a bamboo bed. The guy said he would have it ready by the next day. It then started to pour. Not drizzle. POUR!! A restaurant owner invited us to his restaurant the day before so we had to walk to the restaurant. I was COMPLETELY wet. We had couscous. It was really good. We then went back to my apartment and I read....HP. I went to a local hotel for dinner and got nems. Delicious! My mom called. It was great to hear from her, even though there was like a 10 second lag. So annoying!!! It will be so cool to see how far cell phone service progresses in my 2 years here. I stayed up to finish HP. I am so glad that nobody ruined it for me.

Saturday: August 25

We went to the market early because I wanted to buy a mattress. I decided on the foam mattress because it's softer. Even in Mali, I still have champagne taste. Sigh. Some things never change. Anyway, I opted not for the terrific real mattress, but the medium quality foam mattress (couldn't afford the really good one). Adam got upset because the man was saying how all white people have money, all the time. In the banks, in their hands... I couldn't understand what was said. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. So, I got a mattress and was getting the bed delivered that afternoon.
Adam left at noon. It was so scary because I was on my own. For real. I know some of y'all are thinking, she sounds obsessed with this Adam character. He is super nice and really helped me out in my "city". Don't you worry! I have a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment, and he has a serious girlfriend. It was nice to have a personal tour guide.
I bought an egg sandwich all by myself! I was so happy with me even thought my French...not so good. I went home and cleaned. I really need a "real" broom. Malians (most) prefer brooms without handles, and they mop on all 4s. I think I will continue to clean my house even though I could outsource it. Sometimes I get irritated with people thinking that tubabs always get others to do their work, so I'm going to take a stand and clean my house by myself the whole time I'm there. I might outsource washing clothes. I'm terrible. After cleaning, I was trying to stay awake for my bed, but I fell asleep. As life would have it, they delivered it when I was asleep. So, a lady who sells lettuce outside my apartment, her daughter, and I carried up the bed (2 floor). The angles were quite tricky, but we did it! A little later, I met my language tutor. He seemed really nice. I then got an egg sandwich (convenient) and talked to my dad on the phone. He couldn't get through, so I called. We could only talk for a few minutes because it's 50 cents a minute...and on my living allowance...that's alot. So, I slept in my own bed in my own apartment all by myself! I was a little nervous so I locked the outside door, the porch door, the front door, and my bedroom door. I was thinking, gee it would be terrible if there was a fire and I needed to get out quickly.

Sunday: August 26

I survived the first night in my site, no problems. My friend Lindsay came. It's hard to tell people where I live because I don't know exactly...
We had lunch at the hotel. I splurged and got a coke. SO GOOD! I HEART COKE! It's funny because in the states, I'm so cheap and won't buy soft drinks at restaurants. But, here...bring it! I then had 3 hours of tutoring. My tutor is amazing. I really lucked out. We then we over to Trin's house for Mexican night. Homemade tortillas, guacamole dip, salsa, bean spread, and meat (cow). It was really good! Lindsay then spent the night with me. It's so nice having a guest bedroom.

Today: August 27

I got up at 5:30 am to finish getting my stuff packed. We were at the bus stop at 6:55 am for the "7" am bus. We each ate a loaf of bread for breakfast. The bus came at 7:30 am, not bad for WAIT. The bus ride was lovely! It wasn't crowded and we all had a row of seats to ourselves. The ride was 6 1/2 hours. Optimal conditions. We then had to take a cab to the PC office. They were trying to charge us 2000 CFA per person. I am looking forward to being able to barter and tell them off in French. We ended up getting a ride for 1500 CFA for all 3 of us. We then went to a restaurant/bar and ran into 10 other PCTs. Basically, the mothership. I got a coke (so bad, but oh so good!) and a margarita pizza. We then went back to Tabinso, and I started a new book. I studied French and am ready to go to sleep now.

I am so impressed if you made it down this far. I didn't bring my camera to site visit, so when I move in, I will definitely take pictures of my apartment and town.

Bonne nuit!
(Good night!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

It's so much fun reading about your experiences. Quite an adventure. I have no doubt that you'll be able to barter like a professional before you know it.

I'm glad you got to finish HP. We loved it, even though the ending was kind of cheesy. Steph and I think it would have been cooler if Arthur Weasly had come out of nowhere to mow down Voldy with a machine gun...or maybe run over him with a car.

Well...keep updating. I feel like I'm living my life vicariously through your blogs!

Love,
Uncle Chip